The following were produced by the Working Group on the Arts in Higher Education. These five brochures are suitable for policy development work at local and state levels.
Click the titles below to download each brochure (PDF).
- Arts Education: Beyond Tradition and Advocacy is the Working Group’s most popular brochure, giving convincing reasons for rigorous, sequential arts education at the K-12 level. Targeted to education decision-makers beyond the arts education community.
- The Arts, Liberal Education and the Undergraduate Curriculum addresses the importance of art in the education of all college students, the value of liberal education for artists, and the history of American practice in the arts. Particularly useful in campus debates over curricular content and distribution.
- Higher Education and the Arts in the United States explains the various roles higher education plays in the American arts community. Teaching, presentation, scholarship, and service are highlighted.
- The Structure of the Arts in the United States makes a compelling case for cooperation among the education, creation/presentation, and support sectors of the arts. Provides a basis for common local action.
- Teacher Education in the Arts Disciplines undertakes a comprehensive review of teacher preparation issues. Formal education, contextual influences, accountability, and a set of targeted recommendations are presented.